Bookshelf

Friday 17 August 2012

Review: Oh, Brother! by Peg Cochran

Oh, Brother! by Peg Cochran



What happens when the hottest boy in school becomes your stepbrother?

Mac Daly’s friends can’t believe she’s going to be writing the “advice to the lovelorn” column for their high school newspaper--she has never even had a boyfriend. Mac bets them she can snare Travis Cooper, one of the hottest guys in school. But then Mac discovers that Travis is about to become her stepbrother.





MY OPINION:

This book is about a 14 year old girl Mac Daly who's just begun to write for “advice to the lovelorn” column for their high school newspaper--she has never even had a boyfriend.When Amber,a gorgeous blonde cheerleader(you could think of her as a bitch from the school's in-crowd..!)taunts Mac about never having had a boyfriend Mac bets that she could snare Travis Cooper, one of the hottest guys in school. But then Mac discovers that Travis is about to become her stepbrother.
Hearing about this Amber suddenly turns friendly.Mac revels in this new-found friendship and ignores her other two friends.

Having read this much of the story(about 1/2 of the book..!) I naturally assumed that it would be followed by something boring and predictable along the lines of a series of events happening and Mac finally realizing her mistake etc etc...But that's not how it went..oh! it did ,but not the way I had though it would. It was rather followed by a development of Mac's character (Big time..!),a new romance and a new brother-sister relationship.By the end of the book I was rather impressed by the strengthening and development in Mac's character. 

Also,I for one, loved the author's humorous way with words.For instance:

"At first, all I could think about was the fact that here was Travis Cooper, lead singer of Travesty, super cool guy who had kissed me (okay, only on the cheek, but still), and I was dressed as the torso-less, artificial-limbed eighth wonder of the world"

another one:

"Score! I finally had the thing, whatever it was, caught with my chopsticks. Now to get it to my mouth without dropping it...I did it!
I took a bite, and it was like someone had lit a match inside my mouth. I spit it out, and it landed right on Mark’s tie. I didn’t care."


All in all, it's a light, relaxing and fun read.Nothing out of the ordinary or intense but unique in its own way.

Rating:


                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment