Bookshelf

Saturday 18 August 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


MY OPINION:


Its an addictive read.It is a total roller costar ride of intense emotion. You love the book,you hate it,you are frustrated but you can't put it down.
I have mixed thoughts about the book.I like and hate the book at the same time.There were so many instances when I was extremely frustrated and had I written this review then, it would surely have been brutal.There were so many times while reading the book when my mind would automatically start cataloguing instances to be mentioned in the negative review.But despite it all..did I give up reading the book?? The answer is NO.Whenever I kept it down an insane curiosity would cause me to open it again and start reading it.This is what in my opinion makes it a good book.

Note:I didn't say its an easy read.Its gritty,its violent. Its rouses insane, dark, incomprehensible emotions.

Many books we like are because they fulfil a secret fantasy or fuel it, because we can relate to them or because they deliver the anticipated and in general leave us filled with a happy or righteous feeling.This book expends all emotion.It brings out all types of emotions and leaves you feeling exhausted.It's this ability of the book to bring out intense vicarious feelings in the reader which makes a commendable piece of work.

Having said all this I won't recommend it for people below the age of 18.

Rating:





6 comments:

  1. Great review. I've read many mixed reviews about this book, and I'm glad that you did not give up reading the book. This has been on my TBR for a long time. I just need to go pick it up now.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! Well written :)
    I've begun following you. I'm a newbie too!
    My blog: http://highlyreadioactive.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there..!
      Thanks for dropping by..!:)
      I am now following you..!

      Delete